According to current trends, contemporary building design ideas are leaning towards the utilization of hybrid timber construction systems.
These systems incorporate natural materials such as timber, which make a striking impression. This often mirrors the external characteristics of modern homes.
The concept of fusing modern designs, featuring sleek lines and shapes, with wood, alongside adding stone or exposed concrete, results in a distinct and harmonious visual statement. It gives your home a connection to the past, while also projecting it towards the future.
Green building is the future.
Research Gate reports that the production of building materials consumes a significant amount of energy, resulting in a negative impact on the environment. This is due to the fact that buildings are major energy consumers and greenhouse gas emitters in both developed and developing countries.
To combat this issue, sustainability experts, architects, and engineers have begun exploring more eco-friendly alternatives for building construction. One such alternative is green building practices, which involve utilizing durable, energy-efficient, and sustainably harvested materials like timber.
The incorporation of timber in building design has resulted in innovative solutions for energy use and building processes.
However, it’s essential to note that contractors still face daily challenges, even with timber as a sustainable option. The success of sustainable building practices relies on the contractor’s decision-making and handling of materials.
The use of sustainable building practices is becoming increasingly important in the construction industry to minimize the negative impact on the environment. Although incorporating timber in building design is a significant step forward, it’s essential for contractors to approach the process thoughtfully and responsibly to ensure a successful outcome.
Top 4 key issues building contractors experience
We will discuss the top 4 challenges that building contractors encounter and what they can do to alleviate them:
Factor 1: Having the required construction timber material available for your building.
Small and large construction companies often face difficulties in obtaining the necessary timber building materials. Forestry businesses may struggle to keep up with the demand for timber due to unforeseen circumstances, such as weather conditions. For example, when it rains, the wood may become wet and more difficult to extract from plantations. This leads to longer drying times and delays in timber production.
This can have a significant impact on builders who rely on timber for their construction projects as there may be a shortage of available timber during these times. Additionally, unexpected events during the building process, such as structural failures or miscommunications with builders, may require additional timber to complete the project. In such cases, suppliers may not have enough timber available immediately due to the aforementioned reasons.
Clients have high expectations for construction projects. some expectations include availability, cost, time, and quality, which are typically defined and specified during the design phase. Furthermore, clients may sometimes expect the best possible building results within an unrealistic time frame, requiring a large quantity of timber to be procured within a short period of time.
Overall, material shortages can pose significant challenges for construction companies and their clients. Effective planning and communication between all parties involved can help to mitigate the impact of unforeseen events. It may also ensure that the necessary materials are available when needed.
3 ways a building contractor can secure a consistent supply of construction material:
When working on a project, it can be difficult to anticipate every obstacle that may arise. This makes it challenging to plan ahead. However, you can always take steps to ensure that you are prepared for any situation. Here are some fundamental tips to keep in mind:
- Find a Reliable Supplier: It’s crucial to have a dependable timber supplier that you can rely on in times of crisis. Your supplier should always be proactive in planning ahead and ensuring that they have adequate stock at all times. In the event that they run out of timber, they should be able to provide a lead time. This generally ranges from 20 to 25 days.
- Foster Strong Relationships: Building strong relationships with your suppliers is essential to stay informed about their available supplies. Effective communication between businesses is vital. If you have a infinitive, positive relationship with your suppliers and service providers, the likelihood of any complications during transactions and service delivery will decrease.
- Stay Focused: Double-check that you order the correct amount of materials needed to complete your project. It can be frustrating to have to place another order because of incorrect calculations. This may lead to production delays, and if no additional materials are available, it could become a more significant issue.
Sabie Poles is your reliable supplier of construction timber
At our company, we take proactive steps to ensure that we always have an ample supply of poles and timber available well in advance. We are fortunate enough to have our own plantations. This grants us full control over the production process of our poles.
As there are no intermediaries involved in our supply chain, we provide you, the customer, with precise and transparent lead times, delivery dates, and exceptional service from our team.
In addition, we have gone above and beyond to prepare ourselves for any potential issues that could cause delays in the manufacturing of our timber. We employ cutting-edge technologies to treat our timber, ensuring its longevity and durability.
For more than 28 years, we have cultivated strong relationships with leading contractors in the industry. We take pride in the fact that we focus on quality and customer relations. We help our contractors by providing them with the necessary knowledge and premium-quality timber to complete their projects profitably.
Factors you can rely on when working with Sabie Poles:
- Trusted Supplier
- Trustworthy Partner
- Focused on Quality & Reliability
Factor 2: Using incorrect transportation methods
Small construction businesses often face difficulties in delivering their products, particularly when it comes to transporting timber to the intended destinations. Without proper transportation means, delivering goods can be a challenging task for these businesses. However, opting for external transportation services can also be risky, as it may not ensure timely and safe delivery of the products.
Moreover, miscommunication between the client and transportation service providers is a common issue that arises, leading to missing deliveries, incurring additional costs, and ultimately causing loss of business opportunities.
To overcome such challenges, small construction businesses should consider investing in their own transportation means or partnering with reliable transportation service providers who prioritize timely and safe deliveries. This would enable them to streamline their operations, reduce unnecessary costs, and ensure customer satisfaction.
4 Factors to consider when using an external transportation service:
- Look out for experience: It is crucial to ensure that the transportation company you choose is well-experienced in handling the areas of your interest. This includes technical, legal, and other related issues that may arise during transportation. If you are importing timber, for example, the transportation company should be well-informed and experienced enough to handle the unique challenges associated with timber transportation.
- Recognize your product: You should choose a transportation company that recognizes the unique needs of your business. For instance, timber comes in different weights and sizes, ranging from 1.2m up to 15m. Therefore, the transportation options available will depend on the size and weight of your order. It is essential that the transportation company you select is knowledgeable about the specifics of your product to ensure that it is delivered with proper care and safety.
- Search for prices: It would be wise to search around for quotes from trusted transport companies to ensure that you don’t have unnecessarily high costs on transportation. It is also important to know how their payment policy works. For instance, how much payment should be made in advance? Do they take payment only in cash or do they accept cards?
- Be aware of customer service: Whether you are speaking with them on the phone or visiting their offices, try to see whether their commitment to the customers runs deep within the company or if they are just in it for the money. Poor customer service can be a sign of inconsistency and unreliability which is the last thing you would want to deal with.
Sabie poles deliver with every aspect considered
At our company, we strive to provide the best delivery experience to our customers. We pride ourselves on delivering 99% of our orders using our own fleet of vehicles, ensuring a reliable and efficient service. For areas beyond our reach, such as the Western Cape and SADC countries, we entrust our deliveries to trustworthy transport contractors.
Our logistics system utilizes road transportation and shipping to ensure timely and secure delivery of our timber products. With the exceptional collaboration between our dedicated team and export agents, Savino del Bene and DPP Procurement and Logistics, we are confident in delivering our products in perfect condition.
Our drivers are highly qualified and experienced, ensuring that your orders arrive on time and in the best possible condition. Furthermore, we have been successfully exporting timber to SADC countries and internationally for over 28 years, which demonstrates our commitment to quality and reliability.
Factors you can rely on when working with Sabie Poles:
- 100% committed
- Reliable Transportation
- 28 years of experience
Factor 3: Managing paperwork for projects inaccurately
Importing timber requires adherence to numerous strict procedures and extensive paperwork. Moreover, every country has its own set of rules and regulations that must be followed. In addition, fluctuating foreign currency values must also be taken into account.
Failing to comply with these procedures can result in a delay of several months in receiving the order. Poor communication is often the root cause of such delays, and can lead to cargo being impounded in bonded warehouses at a significant cost.
To avoid such complications, it is crucial to ensure that all procedures are followed diligently and communication with all parties involved is clear and effective.
4 Factors to consider when managing your paperwork:
- Track the currency: Inflation never stays the same, depending on what happens in our economy, currencies vary. You could take a huge hit in your budget if you are not well informed about this. A higher-valued currency makes a country’s imports less expensive and its exports more expensive in foreign markets. That’s why you need to know exactly when you need your order to be delivered and what timeline you have. You should always stay updated with the newest inflation costs to ensure that you don’t fall short on transportation costs.
- Know the requirements: Every country has different requirements when it comes to receiving anything from foreign countries. You should find out what those requirements are to ensure your products are allowed into the country. Some countries allow the importation of CCA-treated poles and timber while other countries only allow untreated timber products to enter. Other factors may also the products to be fumigated.
- Know the certification requirements: Ensure that the supplier that you are buying from has all the necessary certifications for the products and they have the certification to enable them to export their products. Some countries require certain permits and certifications which differ from that of other countries. If you don’t have the correct documentation, Run the risk of your timber cargo being impounded.
Importing directly from the supplier would be the safest option as long as they have a track record of reliability. Handling as much of the process as possible yourself is potentially the most profitable option but it poses a huge risk.
We have the necessary experience and knowledge.
We are here to assist you throughout the entire process of importing vegetative products. Your country’s authorities will issue an import license with specific requirements that we must adhere to. The Department of Forestry and Fisheries ensures that we comply with these requirements and subsequently issues a phytosanitary certificate. Our clearing agents are proficient in handling the documentation of timber products.
Moreover, you may require the expertise of a seasoned timber supplier to ensure that you purchase the appropriate quantity and quality of timber for your projects. Our timber supplier will provide you with the assurance that your products will be delivered on time, without any complications.
Our timber products meet all international certification standards, and we possess all the necessary compliance certificates for the easy exportation of CCA-treated wood/timber products. For instance, we possess the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Certificate for export, which exempts our clients from South African VAT. We manage the entire process, from the time of ordering to the delivery destination.
Factors you can rely on when working with Sabie Poles:
- 100% committed
- Fully Certified
Factor 4: Using low-quality building materials for construction
The properties of timber such as lightness, low density, high strength-to-weight ratio, etc., permit lightweight structures to have excellent earthquake resistance, reduced cost of foundations, and ease of transport and erection. You should use the correct material as strength and durability play a key role in construction.
Choosing to build with ungraded or untreated timber may be a cheaper option but poses a huge risk of construction failure and rapid deterioration which could lead to many complications for you, as a contractor because you are liable for the material used in the building if you deviate from the agreed design.
Timber is graded to ensure that it meets the required specifications to withstand certain challenges and safety reasons. When correctly installed, it should be able to handle the stress caused by the elements to prevent a collapse.
3 Factors to consider when purchasing timber products:
- Recognize the product: Timber comes in different shapes and sizes, it is important that you know exactly which timber you want for your project. e.g. if you are building a deck, you have a choice between hardwood and softwood. Hardwood is great to use, but it can become quite expensive. softwood can serve the same purpose when it is CCA treated and handled correctly and its less expensive.
- State the correct application: Ensure that the timber you want to use is suitable for the project you want to use it for. Timber can be used in many applications. However, it should be treated depending on the application it is used for. The timber used in construction should be graded according to the SANS regulations.
- Look for Quality: Timber can deteriorate quite rapidly, however, if it is treated, it is protected against natural elements that destroy the wood, thus making it durable. You can also look out for cracks, bends, and other imperfections. Importantly, your building project could be compromised if you don’t use the correct timber.
Free Guide for Timber Contractors
4 Key Factors That Will Lead Your Contracting Business To Greater Success
Intentional Quality is what we stand for.
All our timber poles and timber have the SABS stamp of approval. Our 32mm mouldings are produced from SA Pine S5 grade timber and furniture grade is used for the 22mm mouldings.
We believe in supplying only the best quality products. Furthermore, our products are CCA pressure Treated. This means it is protected against rot, decay, insect attacks, therefore, enhancing its durability.
Furthermore, we have certification and membership with some of the top contributors in the CCA Manufacturing and forestry bodies like NRCS and SAWPA (South African Wood Preservers Association). When you buy from us, you know you buy only the best quality timber and nothing less.
Factors you can rely on when working with Sabie Poles:
- Well trusted Reliable Supplier
- Top-quality Products
- Consistent supplier
In this world of modernism, populations grow and the days are getting shorter as time seems to run faster. Time is money, the more work you can get done, the more money you will make. Certainly timber should be an option, as it takes a lot less time and energy to build majestic structures.
People often underestimate the qualities of timber. However, once they know what is achievable with timber, they won’t turn back to using any other material.
There is significant evidence that people are excelling to timber the more they learn about its value. ” In South Africa, demand for green building methods has been driven largely by environmentally conscious multinational clients and corporates. With climate change and growing awareness, demand may accelerate. ” – Grader Rebuild Centre
To ensure that your project doesn’t get compromised unnecessarily. It is highly important that you work with a Well Trusted, Reliable Supplier at all times.
We have 115 years of combined experience in our company. Our products are tried and tested to ensure that we supply the best quality.
We strive to always offer the best customer service. It is important for us to build a solid relationship with you. We want to help you receive the best results from your business through our services and products.